The conventional production lines are often isolated and rigid. In situations of unpredicted event occurrence, and changing conditions and expectation, when even small adjustments need to be done, this results in increased lead times and decrease in throughput. In order to efficiently overcome the obstacles, a high degree of flexibility and efficiency in the process of adjustment is necessary.
Optimization of the capacity planning for the machine can be a solution to the increasing demand of flexibility, including high product variance and ability to respond to unpredicted external factors. This can be achieved by flexible routing.
The aim of this project is to create production rerouting strategies that result in:
- reduction of the impact of breakdowns and unpredicted events in production environments,
- optimization of machine capacity,
- a routing system that adjusts in accordance to the events and is able to identify systematic differences in the production line, including the identification of uncertainties,
- reducing the effect of uncertainties in the production time, making the planning more realistic.
In order to achieve this, flexible routing develops:
- multilevel control system and predictive production AI models to analyze the dynamically interconnected production processes,
- simulations of the system’s reactions to possible events,
- smart rerouting AI algorithm based on service-oriented platform, and
- digital infrastructure to present the users with the right information to evaluate the suggested new route and its assumptions.
If your production environment has a service-oriented architecture with multiple and/or parallel assets that would benefits from the flexible routing implementation, contact Fraunhofer Project Center for a detailed conversation.