In-Line Quality Control
Throwing away and reworking products because they do not pass quality inspection at the end of the line, results in high costs for process owners due to wasted value-added time or resources. Therefore, a detection of possible failures and flexible adjustment of subsequent processes is necessary to be done in the early phases of the process chain. This is currently very difficult to integrate having in mind that the process control is often not connected to each product’s specific properties and quality. Next to this, the industry is looking for ways to obtain near-zero defects production, to increase the quality of the process and steps to compensate for the uncertainty, considering the noise in the process variables.
A research on the ways to address these needs, and development and integration of a solution that will meet the requirements in timely manner will provide:
- waste of products prevention and reduction in unnecessary procedures,
- cost reduction,
- optimization of resource usage and minimalize the waste,
- improved understanding of the current process, and
- adaptive and learning system for maintenance of performance.
This can be achieved with a predictive in-line quality control system that utilizes either artificial intelligence or simulation in:
- data acquisition of the important parameters for the quality assurance,
- simulation and analysis of the process,
- development of a demonstrator of control system for in-line process setting adjustments, and
- development of a validation method for an end-line quality control.
We are looking for companies interested into collaborating and participating in this project. If your company has processes measurements and is interested in ways to improve the quality during and at the end of production process aligning to manufacturing 4.0, contact Fraunhofer Project Center to find out how we can work together in realizing the objectives.